You need to do research to collect facts and expert opinions to support your point. What is important for others to know? Good note-taking helps you do that. It will prevent you from plagiarizing (copying sentences word for word).
Even changing a few words of a sentence is still plagiarism because you are stealing the author's original sentence structure and idea.
Good note cards:
1. Figure out your research question. What information are you looking for?
3. Scan: Look quickly at the text, searching for keywords, related words, and answers to your questions
4. Read deeper when you find important text.
5. Use these note-taking strategies:
Questions you need to know for your project:
1. Define and explain your problem
2. What causes your problem?
3. How does it affect people, animals, or the Earth?
4. What should we do to help fix the problem?